The centerpiece of the Monmouth University campus is Wilson Hall. Originally, it was the site of the Shadow Lawn mansion, constructed in 1903 and housed 52 rooms. United States President Woodrow Wilson stayed in the mansion during his campaign in summer of 1916.
After Shadow Lawn was destroyed by a fire in 1927, the building that would become Wilson Hall was built as a residence for Mr & Mrs. Hubert Templeton Parson. Mr. Parson was the former head of F.W. Woolworth Company. The building was designed by Horace Trumbauer and Julian Abele. Abele is regarded as the first professional African American architect.
Wilson Hall became municipal property during the Great Depression and until Monmouth University acquired ownership, it was home to Highland Manor Junior College, a private girls' school. Today, it is a National Historic Landmark. Some classrooms and the administrative offices are inside of the building. In 1980, Wilson Hall was used as Daddy Warbucks' mansion in the film version of Annie